Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: A Year of Settling


As 2012 comes to a close I have been thinking about what this past year has held for me.  2011 was a year of transition - having a baby, leaving my job, moving to a new state, starting a new job, meeting new friends...lots and lots of change.  It was a whirlwind of a year for sure.

If 2011 was the year of change, well, 2012 has been the year of settling...in a good way.  Settling into a new home, settling into a new job, settling into new relationships, settling into new rhythms.  It has been a year of planting roots...something I am not so good at.

Truth is I thrive on change.  As I have written many times, I have wanderlust...some might even say I 'suffer' from it.  I like to think about what is on the horizon, what might be in-store, where we might move to, what else I might do...I like to dream.  Staying put is not a strength of mine.  Yet as I get older I am beginning to see the wear that pulling up roots takes on a soul.  It is hard to keep starting over.  It is hard to always be new, always learning where to go, always trying to find your place.

2012 has been a year where I have heard the call of stability more than ever before.  Stability is a monastic value - staying in one place until God and the people around you release you.  Steve and I have put this into practice every place we have lived...vowing to stay until God says go.  But each place we have landed prior to here has been intrinsically transient.  This move has felt very different.  This has been a move where God has told me to get comfortable...we're going to be here a good long while.

And while I squirm at that prospect, I am also relieved by it.  It has been a beautiful thing to know that the investments we make in this place will last us a long while.  We actually recycled our moving boxes rather than keeping them all like we usually do.  We're prepared to stay.

It took most of this past year for me to settle into this call of stability...the wanderlust is strong my friends.  And I still look ahead and wonder what might be next...I just don't expect it to be right around the corner.  Instead I am trying to live in this place, with these people, enjoying what is here in the present.  My soul has settled down...I am finding rest and vitality...I am doing to hard work of letting down my guards and inviting people to know me...after all I'm going to be here for a while.

So, while I am not one for resolutions, I can say that if 2012 was a year of settling then I suspect that as I continue to let these roots dig down deep that 2013 will bring a new nourishment that comes only when one lives into the call of stability.  So, here's to settling and the growth that comes with it.

Happy New Year - may 2013 hold unimaginable blessing for you and yours.

No comments: